Any academics?

Is there anyone in the academic/higher ed/research profession? I’m in the humanities and am completing a dissertation. Wondering if there are any more here.

5 Likes

I’m from the area of ​​applied social sciences, I’m completing my first graduation

I’m in grad school as well.

I’m working on a masters in comp sci

1 Like

I had a dissertation halfway written in a previous life, ended up leaving for industry but I think about going back

yes! Just finished my first year of my masters, planning to teach in higher ed part time when I graduate

Starting my final year of undergrad right now

Yes, Ph.D., but in Engineering.

Not in academia, but I have a question for those posting. I know our lives don’t revolve our fetish but I’m curious if any of you have done any research projects on this fetish or fetishism at large?

(I’m a filmmaker and I’ve contemplated making a documentary about the fetish for years, but have never found out how to do it honestly without outing myself or if maybe I just should.)

I’m also just always curious to hear more academically minded discussion of our fetish since it’s something that’s had a major impact on my life and yet there’s basically no info about it outside of here.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to have one that was a neutral story about people with fetishes. A lot of fetish documentaries tend to just go for shock value. Maybe you could make it about this general group of fetishes which you could just tell people you found at random rather than being specifically into it yourself.

2 Likes

There are some attempts to do this in the fart fetish community through audio and written content. Nobody wants to do video because they don’t want to share their face. Something creative is probably the best we’d get. I doubt we will get much academic research on the subject.

I am trained in survey research and when I was in college I used to run an online comprehensive survey about farting, though it wasn’t fetish based and suffered the fatal flaw of selection bias. I thought about paying some frat guys to fill out the survey anonymously and honestly, but the only way to do it anonymously would be to collect the surveys as a batch, but then I cannot guarantee their authenticity. Again, it’s still not a random sample, but they are probably the only group that would be willing to participate.

There is honestly way too little research about fetishes and way too little biological and sociological research about bodily functions and the types of things people wonder about them. Academic discussions are not always comfortable, so you’d think academics would be far more interested in researching these topics. Unfortunately, I guess they still feel like they would become “the burp fetish” guy.

There was one man at my undergraduate institution that was pretty open about doing fetish research, but it was BDSM and leather which isn’t really taboo. I do think his research would have expanded. Sadly, he died in a freak accident while performing in a bondage scene.

Sadly, he died in a freak accident while performing in a bondage scene.

I suppose one good thing about our fetish is that it’s completely safe. I wonder how many such incidents there have been with the BDSM people.

I’m not a trained researcher but I’m also interested in statistics and such. I’m kind of half working on something at the moment to see if there are any differences in burping acceptability by country.

1 Like

Closest I’ve seen is papers on potty humor and body functions in medieval and renaissance era texts

I have a stats degree so feel free to hit me up if you run into anything too challenging.

1 Like

At least he went out doing what he loved. RIP

1 Like