I made a simple tutorial video on how to make compilation videos THE EASY WAY

This is a tutorial explaining what I have found to be the fastest and simplest way of making compilations. No video editing software is required, there is no need to trim/split/merge or re-encode video files. Make a high quality 1080p compilation of any length containing any amount of source videos in minutes on the fly with this method.

You will only need 3 programs, all absolutely 100% FREE, no trials, no restrictions, no ads, no malware. All easy to use for even the most basic user, but also with advanced options for expert users. You will have more flexibility than ever before.

MPC-HC Player with K-Lite Codec Pack - Download K-Lite Codec Pack

MPC-HC Looper Application - MPC-HC Looper - A/B looping for the MPC-HC media player and more! - Zach Glenwright's Gull's Wing Media Productions

OBS Studio Screen Capture Software - Download | OBS

I don’t know what methods other compilation makers use to create their compilations, maybe this is a common method. But for anyone who is just starting out or wants to give making compilations a go, this is a great and easy place to start in my opinion.

I hope my explaining is good enough, if you have specific questions, please ask. Once you get the hang of it you will be making the best compilations you have ever made, quicker and will have a lot more fun doing it than messing about with fancy video editing software.

Personally I find great joy in making compilations, especially once I started using this method. You DO NOT have to be a computer genius to learn this, anyone with basic knowledge could do it, it really is that simple. So if you’ve been thinking about learning it, hopefully my tutorial may help to get you started.

OR, maybe no one cares, which is fine.

Positive feedback welcome, I’m not usually good at explaining things or speaking in general so I was nervous, forgive me for any mistakes I may have made.

The video is unlisted, but not private. Here is the link: The Simple way to Make Video Compilations - Tutorial - YouTube

7 Likes

The most important thing I learned was that windows allows changing the short date format in the taskbar :B You’re a trooper for continuing your tutorial with Tay Vanity and Cartier’s gf blasting at you.

I have … no notes. This accomplishes your goal of a solid starter setup. (Maybe talk about obs source cropping ? Nope, he said to fullscreen it.) (Seeing the waveform helps with initially choosing clips ? I didn’t find a way to generate one that is the same level of complexity.)

I’m not going to use this particular strategy. When I feel like it, I use kdenlive and so on. But, I dread the thought of editing the few ThighSquish streams I downloaded. I have the timestamps, but am not terribly jazzed about mousing around an hour long video with kdenlive. What I’ll try is using my timestamp file as a playlist to drive mpv with obs watching. So, thanks for the inspiration.

1 Like

Glad you got some inspiration from it.

I have never used a waveform to help me look for burps. I haven’t got much experience with audio engineering outside of the ffdshow filters with MPC. How do you isolate a waveform from a video file? Does it require a special sort of program or can windows do it? It sounds interesting, not sure if it would help me as I wouldn’t even know what I’m looking for in a waveform. Usually I have to watch through any source videos at least once so I can timestamp the burps I want as I watch it, but it can be tedious if there is a lot of parts where there is no burps in a long video.

And yeah I have nothing against other methods, more is possible with proper editing software but I find it requires more advanced knowledge and time to learn. And since a vast majority of the comps I make are just for me and never shared, I don’t have to encode anything usually and just use the looper files to drive MPC.

I’ll again emphasize that I use kdenlive, which extracts audio and calculates the waveform while importing a video into a project. I say so, not to suggest that you invest in learning to use a nonlinear video editor, but to temper the perceived value of the story I’m about to spin, given that it does not represent my workflow, and possibly nobody’s. I’m on vacation, away from my home computer, and not in a position to even test what I’m about to describe.

But, if I adopted the workflow you’ve described, and wanted to guide my investigation, I would extract the audio of a video with ffmpeg (ex ffmpeg -i video_to_extract_audio_from.mp4 name_of_extracted_audio.mp3 ). I would open this audio file in audacity, which will render its waveform.

At that point, the value of seeing the waveform depends on the volume range between the loudest sounds (hopefully burping) and the average or quietest sounds. I mean, if the burps of a video are significantly louder than the rest, they will show up as obvious peaks surrounded by flat plains. If this person burps quietly, talks animatedly, or is driving, the overall audio will look more homogenous. By default, clicking the waveform in audacity updates a timestamp (in the upper right ?). At that point, I would seek to some seconds before the peak in mpc and continue with the rest of your looper workflow.