PRO TIP - How to Include Timestamps In Your YouTube Links

Hey everyone!

I wanted to quickly show you how to include a timestamp in a YouTube link so it automatically starts playing at a certain part of the video. It’s an easy feature to use and it’s very helpful when sharing videos on the forums.

1. Pause the video at the correct timestamp.
  2. Right-click on the video itself, or control-click on the video (that does the same thing).
  3. Click on “Copy video URL at current time” - see screenshot below:

…and that’s it! The link is now copied to your clipboard with the correct timestamp. Now all you have to do is paste it :smile:

Hope this helps!

9 Likes

Thank you for this! Not everyone knows about this feature

1 Like

Thank you for sharing! I did not know how to do this until I read your tutorial.

1 Like

Should this timestamped URL system be enforced? Would the quality of life here improve or decay if that were the case?

It wouldn’t add much, except more work for the mods who’d have to enforce the rule.

I think it would benefit the forums if this were highly encouraged, but not necessarily “enforced” for the sake of the mods.

1 Like

it would make sense for single timecodes, but for videos with multiple burps, it wouldnt be efficient.

When this site started out, the volume of posts was low enough that I could change a few links here and there to make it easier to get to the burp. Now though, with about 150 posts a day, that’s not so easy. It’s possible to change the text that appears when a post is created, maybe a quick explanation of timestamps would encourage the use of it.

1 Like

In those cases I put the first time stamp in the link :slight_smile: