(REQUEST) Reliable video recovery tool

Today I noticed that I accidentally deleted a bunch of videos.

It’s not that bad, since most of them are still available online, but the problem is that none of the software I tried to use to recover them actually worked, which is weird because at least according to one of them almost all files were in excellent condition.

They either did not find any files or successfully recovered (corrupted?) files that cannot be opened. One of them managed to recover 2 playable videos out 30, but they were incorrectly named after other videos that could not be opened. I also tried changing the file extension and using other software to repair the files, but that did not work either, since they did not find any errors.

It kind of worries me that I might not be able to recover other videos, so does anyone use any video recovery software that worked well for them?

I uploaded one of the unplayable videos, in case someone with the time and patience can actually manage to repair it and let me know how to do it myself.

Thanks!

I’ll try it, but I’m mainly looking for software that can recover video files after a longer period of time, because in this case I noticed that they were missing after 1 week or so.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recover-lost-files-on-windows-10-61f5b28a-f5b8-3cc2-0f8e-a63cb4e1d4c4

This is the official one from microsoft which has worked for me in the past. If it’s been a while since you lost the files though, chances are that they’re gone forever. There’s nothing that will work on files lost a longer time ago. They’re either on the disk or they’re not.

2 Likes

It depends on if you wrote any files (after the video was deleted) to that disk and how large those files were. Try this tool and test your luck

Edit: I tried to repair your video by extracting frames, however the file you uploaded has a missing/corrupt mov atom header, so my software doesn’t know the properties of the video, so it cannot be decoded.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried FreeRecover, but it didn’t find them. I don’t think the official Microsoft app would be of much use either, since I deleted those videos about a week ago and downloaded at least 20 GB of stuff since then, to the same drive, some of it to the same folder from which the videos were removed.

I’ll keep one of these tools around, but overall I think I’ll just be more careful and do backups more frequently.

I’d suggest trying out your other files with vlc (if you haven’t already), VLC will take practically anything with a video header

1 Like