'Stories' Location?

Will stories just be their own topic in the section they’re best suited for (i.e. Male Media, Female Media)? Or will a separate section be made for them? I thought this question was best put here. :relaxed:

That’s a good question! There are two options here.

1. Female Stories and Male Stories subcategories could be created inside the Female Media and Male Media categories respectively.
  2. Female Stories and Male Stories subcategories could be created inside the Burp Discussion category.

I think I lean more towards the first option, because the Burp Discussion category is kind of an umbrella group and is meant to be used by everyone.

The reason why I don’t want to create a new category called Stories or similar is that too many categories can be overwhelming to new users. This is a problem the old site had.

What do you think?

2 Likes

I think this is the ideal option, especially for incoming users from our former site. Familiarity will help us all acclimate to the changes.

2 Likes

I’d simply just like to state that I agree with the others in that stories should be subcategories in Female/Male Media

1 Like

Is this specific feedback you received from someone? My impression would be that more structure is a good thing. It points users to where they can find certain types of content, plus users won’t have to sift through other content they’re not interested in.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s one of the basic principles Discourse sets out: “keep things simple” and it’s also a response to one of my biggest gripes with the old site - category fatigue. The fact that there were so many forums and subforums meant that a lot of the time, people didn’t even know where to post. This might not have been so apparent to users but to mods, keeping everything organised was a lot of work.

Regarding sifting through content, that’s why we have tags, so you can get a basic idea of the contents of a topic before you even click on it.

The categories set up aren’t final of course. But there are other things I’d want to try before flooding the front page with yet more categories to scroll through.

2 Likes

Any chance a consensus has been reached in regards to the stories location. I was hoping to re-upload and continue my previous work when a definitive section has been created. Again would like to say I think having separate subcategories in Female/Male Media would be best in terms of audience visibility and keeping things a little similar from the old site.

3 Likes

The categories have been set up, so go nuts guys. Will be interesting to see what gets posted.

3 Likes

You think we should have a sub category within that for stories transferred from the old site? Or maybe a tag?

There is no need for a sub category for old material, considering there is a finite amount of it. If you do post an old story here you could tag it with something like imported so people know it isn’t new.

2 Likes

What about explicit stories? And explicit content in general?

We have the ability to tag posts as nsfw (along with any other explicit tags you might want). So tags should be used liberally to make it clear what kind of content one is going to find when one clicks on the post.

So there will be no 18+ section?

Not in and of itself, no. It makes the forum harder to browse for people who want a range of content. I also don’t see the point in creating one, because all it would do is duplicate categories. SFW Stories, 18+ Stories, SFW Media, 18+ Media… Why? What would it accomplish?