Mods... I hope y’all are aware

This is probably the third post talking about arguments but honestly where are the mods at? People are leaving this site because ridiculous arguments are happening left and right. I know you guys have other stuff going on in your lives, as well as the crazy times we are in. I just hope you guys are aware of the chaos occurring here. Like someone else said this site is supposed to be “fun” I guess? Maybe fun isn’t the right word but it shouldn’t be as toxic as it’s becoming.

It is supposed to be fun, yeah. The toxicity is probably due to the higher and higher numbers of users we have gained. It certainly wasn’t this rampant at the start of the new site.

4 Likes

It’s sad, hopefully it calms down soon

1 Like

Honestly? It would be nice if rather than find excuses you could kinda just do a better job, or if you can’t… find and recruit other people who can.

There’s been all sorts of breaches of the rules happen and you’ve basically done nothing.

You managed to respond to this but I’ve literally just seen a post that’s been flagged as having underage content that was posted like 11 hours ago.

Like I say, if you can’t do your jobs, maybe make the effort to at least try and recruit somebody who can?

21 Likes

Yeah, I’m with them on this one. I know the world is hectic and you guys have lives outside of this, but a lot of rule breaches and drama has happened for awhile and only a few of you have really put much effort into stopping it or enforcing things. I try to give you guys some grace but things are out of hand

8 Likes

I want to suggest that the constant calls for politeness and civility on this forum are, paradoxically, part of the reason it is degenerating into chaos.

Here is is how these dramas typically play out:

1. Someone harasses, shit-talks, or publicly shames a content producer, usually a female model, for not catering to their specific desires or price range.

2. Someone rebukes the aggressor.

3. The aggressor attacks the rebuker.

4. Sympathizers of the aggressor join in.

5. An argument ensues.

6. Would-be peace makers intervene. Usually their posts either target the rebuker (“Two wrongs don’t make a right”) or they try to act even-handed (“Guys, when will you stop fighting?”)

7. The aggressor and their friends “like” the peacemaker’s post, and then put on a good-boy act. (“Yeah, stop fighting”). This helps raise their moral profile in the community so as to draw attention from their despicable behavior.

Back on the old forums, it was not considered a violation of decorum to utterly ridicule and shit upon the behavior in #1 when it occurred. People who did those things were rightfully blammed by the rest of the community. There is not enough condemnation of that sort of behavior anymore. This has allowed a particularly vile contingent of misogynists (which I define as men who respond punitively to women for not catering to their desires) to fester, and the constant calls for peace and an end to “toxicity” have led to the mischaracterization of their critics as “toxic”, when the latter seem to be the only ones who are taking this problem seriously.

So, to the would-be peacemakers: if you don’t want this forum to die, then your efforts are better devoted to treating the root of the problem. “Guys… stop… guys… just be nice…” is not targeting the root of the problem.

And to Umbris: if you want to save your forums, I suggest you take a more active hand in moderating aggression towards female content producers than you seem to. For then it would not be necessary to rally community members against them.

5 Likes

I agree with @MrMidnight about getting more mods to help.

2 Likes

Who would you suggest?

Just going to say to all that personal attacks or posting private conversations aren’t acceptable. Topic will be locked if constructive posts aren’t made.

@anon40784453, for one thing, these aren’t “my forums” - I started this site when the hosting for the old one ran out in order to keep the community going, but I consider the community critical. Yes I do currently pay for hosting, but that’s an unfortunate result of anonymous donation methods being quite tricky to start up. We do need more moderators, it’s just that deciding on who should have the considerable power that comes with moderation shouldn’t be taken lightly.

11 Likes

What is the process for finding mods for this forum? On the old one it seemed like it just went to a few people who posted a lot, to very varying results. Obviously it’s harder to vet someone who hasn’t posted very much, but it would be nice to see some sort of application process.

Yeah, posting/viewing more than most could be one requirement. The current mods are going to discuss what exactly we’re looking for and we might start an application topic.

3 Likes

I would say that would be a requirement since that’s the thing people are complaining about. If they post a lot then that would mean they are active a lot on here. The question is, is there someone that active who can be a good mod? People are complaining, but they have not mentioned anyone who would be a good mod.

I nominate @SkylerB97.

He seems pretty impartial and is an active user on these forums. I don’t always agree with him on certain things, but I still think he’d be a reliable mod.

It’s up to him, though.

3 Likes

@Umbris just make @anon40784453 the moderator at this point, I give up, he has complete control of the narrative. He wins. Congratulations.

1 Like

I had no plans to nominate myself, but now that it’s on the table I second this nomination.

Edit: I would also nominate @Rowigrath. He seems like an impartial person who has good moral instincts.

1 Like

I respectfully decline, I’m just not fond of the responsibility that comes with being in charge of well, anything. Not that I couldn’t handle it or would go mad with power. Just feels like a lot of work. I’m fine being a general mediator in discussions, but doing it with a title and having to enforce rules rather than suggesting they be enforced is something I consider a bit difficult

4 Likes

I understand.

I’d be a mod but my standing in this community has been nuked. To be fair, most the nuking was self-inflicted. Which sucks 'cuz I actually think I’d be pretty fair-minded about it, contrary to what one might expect.

3 Likes

Which is another thing I think is important to mention. You would be doing this for free, with no real benefit. I’m not mad at the mods if they are more focused on the business that pays them than the business that doesn’t. Someone would have to truly love the community and committed to change with no incentive to be a mod. The old forum might hav seem better, but if we’re being honest it was going down this road during that time too.

2 Likes

Right, it’s not like the old forum was entirely “peaceful” and a lot of us were on there as well and these issues came up a few times in the last few years, they just really ramped up there last summer.

1 Like

eyeroll0

11 Likes