Should I add restrictions to the media categories so that only member level users can view them?

• Yes, restrict
  • No, don’t restrict

0 voters

Specifically ‘female media’ and ‘male media’ and any subcategories within them.

Member level users are defined as anyone who’s been here for more than a couple of weeks and made more than a couple of comments.

My theory is that most of the people who lurk here and then post creepy stuff on girls’ pages aren’t active members, so it might reduce their ability to do that.

I could also allow search engine indexing, categories like ‘burp discussion’ would then be searchable via google etc but threads about specific people in the media categories would still be hidden (so people can’t search their screen name and then find a thread here)

6 Likes

Can’t say if this would kill the forum or encourage people to post a lot more in order to get full access, but I’d suggest trying it out with the “member” trust level first since 1203 users would have full access instead of just 37 regulars.

6 Likes

Yea I feel like you meant the member level and not the regular level as that latter is much smaller and wouldn’t make sense.

2 Likes

I agree with the sentiments above. I think the lounge is basically what you described if its access is limited to regulars.

1 Like

So aside from the search indexing this is basically just about twitch because TT is a lost cause as far as creeps go(any vid tagged with burps will be swarmed regardless of this site) and youtube is pretty much dead. Maybe a better idea would be to have trust level twitch threads where all comps and any discussion are posted.

Yeah sorry, I mixed up terms there. It would indeed be the member level.

1 Like

i would also say that there should be no access to the threads from google, search engine indexing should be completely disabled. I would prefer the entire community to be completely locked off without an account (i think this used to be the case, not sure tho) so users had to sign up in order to access anything on the site

3 Likes

Yeah I definitely agree that there should be some level of activity required for people to be able to view the more content filled threads on here. Random people just clicking on without ever commenting or doing anything(especially people who don’t have an account) shouldn’t be able to just view the entirety of content shared. I agree with others that member trust level would probably make more sense though since regular seems to be less than 40 members.

3 Likes

What would you consider to be the negative effects of having the other categories searchable from google?

I think this forum should be a safespace for us to share content without being afraid of creeps ruining it, I support any measure that improves this aspect, people are gatekeeping content more and more and that just kinda goes against the whole point of the forum i guess

8 Likes

I’m 100% for this, even if the forum shrinks i do not think that’s a bad thing.

I’m all for some sort of restriction. I think it’s important to have some sort of community.

So it seems that restricting categories wins the poll. Media categories are now only accessible to member level users, while the rest of the site should be searchable again from google.

8 Likes

What level do we have to be

member/level 2, which you can get to by spending a couple of weeks on the site.

edit: I removed the posting requirements to get to level 2 earlier today, so you should be promoted to member level as soon as discourse updates the levels

1 Like

I was promoted to member, but yet I still don’t see the male and female media. Do I have to be a regular in order to see them on the main page of this site?

Alright I think I found the script that updates member levels. Can you see the categories now?

Yea I can, but I can see the lock symbols next to the title of the male and femake media, what do they mean?

They just mean that category is restricted to certain users. But you should be able to access them.

At minimum, if you visit the site for a couple of weeks and spend time reading threads, after that you’ll be promoted to ‘member’ and gain access. I’ll just manually set anyone to member for the time being though if you post ITT and want access. Then in theory, any new members in the future won’t know those categories exist until they’ve proven to be good members.